We’ll definitely be keeping you busy at #ANationThatWorks—but we also want you to enjoy your time in our home town! Here are some of our team’s favorite sights and things to do around Chicago. And yes, we love food.
Melissa, National Initiatives Director:
Amy, Director, Research & Policy Division of Heartland Alliance:
- Take a water taxi from downtown to Chinatown.
- Visit the hidden beach behind the planetarium at Northerly Island Park.
- Learn about the Great Chicago Fire at the Old Water Tower.
- There's free admission to the Art Institute Thursday nights from 5 to 8 PM.
- For cool food halls, check out Italian Village (old school), Revival Food Hall (hip), or Latinicity.
Chris Warland, Associate Director, Field Building:
- At the Center for Intuitive and Outsider Art, Intuit, you can see a recreation of Chicago artist Henry Darger’s living and working space.
- Café Iberico is a great tapas place. If you want to go off the beaten path, grab Korean food at the café in the back of the Joong Boo grocery store.
- And I almost forgot: Hopleaf!
Caitlin, Policy Associate:
- The Art Institute always has something amazing on, and taking an architecture boat tour is well worth it!
- A stroll through the Garfield Park Conservatory (followed by lunch at Inspiration Kitchens!) is a great way to spend a free afternoon.
- Lula Café in Logan Square is one of my favorite dinner spots.
Carl, National Center on Employment & Homelessness Coordinator:
Tara, Workforce Research & Policy Fellow:
- Visit the Shedd Aquarium, located right by the Field Museum. You can see dolphins, beluga whales, sea lions, sea turtles, sharks, stingrays, and more.
- If you venture down to Hyde Park, home of the University of Chicago, Jimmy’s Woodlawn Tap is a great place to stop for a drink and a cheap bite to eat (I’d recommend their cheeseburger or grilled cheese sandwich).
- If you’re looking for something slightly more upscale in Hyde Park, the Promontory has great New American food (I’d also recommend their cheeseburger) and cocktails. Bonus: its second floor is a music venue.
Amber, Communications Coordinator:
- Mr. Brown's Lounge has the most amazing jerk chicken you will ever experience outside of Jamaica itself!
- City Winery is an actual winery hidden in the West Loop. Be sure to sign up for a tour—it's an amazing look into what goes into making wine, especially in the middle of a metropolitan area.
- Lincoln Park Zoo is a classic Chicago stop that is perfect for any age. It has everything: animals, food, and amazing views!